Wednesday 24 December 2014

Christmas Community Spirit

I’m sitting on the steps of a public school hall hearing the band play Hark the Herald Angels Sing. Around me there are children singing, waving glow sticks, laughing and a few tears, elderly men and women perhaps remembering their younger days. There is a craft table buzzing with activity, young and old learning together. A local photographer has set up a nativity scene with dress ups for bubs and siblings. There is nothing like a 7 month old dressed up as a sheep sitting in hay. The atmosphere is sparkling. There is a beautiful community spirit here.

After the past days and weeks of seeing the outcome of the Sydney siege, the pain and suffering in all corners of the world it is hard not to be more vigilant. Who is really sitting next to me in a cafĂ© or riding the train with me. I’ve noticed I’m locking my doors more. No more freedom of coming and going. Locking myself inside my home and backyard. Is it fear or as I tell myself, I am being cautious not knowing who is around. Protecting my children at all costs. But am I overdoing it? I used to roam the streets exploring when I was a child. I was free. I loved it. It was a different type of community back then. I would know all my neighbours. We’d have bon fires sharing every joy, triumph and challenge and supporting each other. There seems to be less of that these days. Instead there is more TV, computer games and more forms of technology to keep us connected. But are we more disconnected than ever?

Joy to the World is playing now and I realise the Christmas and community spirit are far from dead. Mums and dads are chatting. They are sharing stories and sharing their lives. Life’s challenges are easier to confront when faced together with support and love. There are children making new friends with bonds being formed. We are trusting again and allowing ourselves to be free. Free from the fear. The community spirit might be less in some places but the more we allow ourselves to trust and make a new friend or help a neighbour the world will be better and let the community spirit reign.  

6 comments:

  1. Community is indeed so important for us, Becky, as it always has been. People need a community of family, friends and neighbours to share with, to be supported by, to mourn and to celebrate with. I think that it is small communities that can best show how strong, loving and supportive ordinary people can be in a world that seems at times to have gone mad with hate.
    Good post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment wangiwriter. You make some very important points about community. :)

      Delete
  2. The festive spirit really is a wonderful thing, especially with all the bad news around. It's great that you're part of a loving community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Christmas - all the music and fun.Thanks for visiting. :-)

      Delete
  3. Never did I appreciate a sense of community as much as once I had children. Before I found a group of friends with young children, I felt so alone! Having a sense of community has helped me enormously in the realm of stay-at-home mom. I'm glad you were able to feel that on Christmas Eve. ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by. I love my community of mums, it so good to have them. :-)

      Delete