Monday 27 April 2015

ANZAC Centenary

Saturday 25 April 2015 (ANZAC Day) commemorates Australia's involvement in World War 1. Communities all over Australia and the world remembering the landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. 2015 is the 100th anniversary of this moment. ANZACs stands for (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps). I still remember being seventeen and visiting Anzac Cove, Turkey for the first time. I was taken by the beauty of the landscape. I wondered how a place so beautiful shared such a tragic story. As I walked along the stone beach I was sad for the lives lost but with such gratitude for the sacrifice made.

Today, as many people travel to ANZAC services in their own town we drive an hour and half to a town with less than 500 hundred and join in their remembrance of the fallen at Gallipoli.

The weather is perfect and the air is fresh with barely a cloud in the sky. I can't recall the last time I attended an ANZAC Day march but I am honored to be part of it. As we watch the march, there is pride in the faces of those marching showing their care, respect and gratitude of those past men and women lost at Gallipoli. This is also a time to remember all those who serve in the defence forces and the sacrifices they have made.

Lest we forget

What to know more? click here

Woodenbong ANZAC Day March

Outside Woodenbong

Just outside Woodenbong


Mt Lindesay - Near Woodenbong NSW


2 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love that you included so many photos. Part of me would love to live in a tiny town like that...other times I think I might go crazy! Good for you to share some history with your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was writing this post I thought I should include lots of pictures for Frantic Mama as she would love to see some more Aussie pictures. :-) I know what you mean about small towns. This town is very pretty, I lived there when I was in primary school feels like a life time ago. I think I am more a big regional centre girl than a small town girl. I like the shops, cafes etc. It was lovely to return and share this moment with my family. :-)

      Delete