Thursday 2 April 2015

Life has many seasons

No spring nor summer’s beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one Autumnal face....

~John Donne, "Elegy IX: The Autumnal"

I love the change of seasons. Many years ago I lived in Armidale and the change of seasons is marked beautifully. A chill arrives and the wind starts to blow. The leaves change and so do the people. Life slows a little. The cafes become full with tea and coffee drinkers. It is like a book waiting to picked up and read. 

Living in the Northern Rivers of NSW with subtropical weather the trees take longer to lose their leaves or not at all and summer still reappears its steam room air. Seasons are changing everywhere. On the other side of the world spring has arrived and there is new birth and new life around. Whereas, summer has ended here and autumn is here. Autumn with the change of the leaves, the days becoming shorter and colder. Washing no longer dries overnight, it always damp, the air is heavy with wood smoke but people are in the parks and out walking and exploring,

Leaves of so many colours fall and trees become naked letting in sunlight that has for many months been dark and humid. Running as fast as I can through the leaves and feeling the freedom. But change is upon us in another way, Faith we hope will have her power wheel chair by month's end. This will mark a new beginning. A beginning of freedom, exploring, of accidents and crashes, of discovery. A lot of firsts will happen. No longer will Faith need us to move from room to room, no longer will she have to wait to be moved she can take off and hide from strangers, follow her favorite people around or just stop and watch. For years she has needed us to move from seat to seat or room to room, she will be her own person making choices. No longer can I leave her in one place to know she will be there when I return. She could be anywhere. I have longed for this change for so long and I can't imagine what it will be like only that it will be magnificent. This year the change of season brings a life change never to forget. 

2 comments:

  1. So is it just turning into fall there now? It's so strange that it is opposite there from here, isn't it? We are finally thawing out here in Spring which does wonders for my mood. The longer days with more sun help me as a person and therefore as a mother. I like that you put some photos in your posts. As I've said before, I'm so fascinated by Australia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a very mild winter in the Northern Rivers. We do have a wood fire but no snow and even though it feels cold it isn't in comparison to where you live I am sure. In winter I can go walking most days and garden. The weather is just lovely. I'll keep posting more pictures of our trips and you can see more of where we live.

      Delete